Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Building Strength

I haven't done a Trendy Tuesday in a while. This is a trend that I am actually following but modified it a little bit to better suit me. The original program is called StrongLifts 5x5. This takes 5 exercises with the barbell, and divides them into 2 routines. You only do 3 exercises per routine. Below is an example of it:


While this workout gets results, I wanted to add more each workout. I do all 5 exercises in one day and do 5 sets of 5 reps for each one, yes even Deadlift. I also throw in a day of isolation exercises for muscles like biceps, triceps, and other smaller muscles. I have done this for a few weeks and can already tell a huge difference in my strength. Here is what my schedule looks like.

Monday - 5 x 5 x 5 (Squats, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Deadlifts, Barbell Rows)
Wednesday - Isolation
Friday - 5 x 5 x 5 (Squats, Deadlifts, Barbell Rows, Overhead Press, Bench Press)

If you have never done lifts before, start your first week off by doing very light weight so that you can practice proper form and avoid injury.

0 comments:

Post a Comment