Saturday, July 6, 2013

Frontier Potato Salad

TGIF! I decided this week that I was going to share my potato salad recipe that I created for my Mom's restaurant. When making this, I had certain requests I needed to follow. The first, was no egg. Whoa, potato salad with no eggs? OK. Also they wanted to use red potatoes instead of Yukon, which is no big deal really. They also weren't really a fan of traditional potato salad, so I needed to spice it up some, literally. It turned out great and they loved it. They eventually added bacon to it, but I think that's up to you. I'm going to share the non-bacon recipe but you can add bacon if you want. So here you go, try it out next time you BBQ.



Ingredients:
  • 8 medium red potatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups of real mayo
  • 2-3 tablespoons regular mustard (depends if you want less mustard or not)
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 3 green onions (3 bulbs)
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1/2 of a large onion
  • 2 teaspoons of dill weed
  • 1 teaspoon salt (kosher if you have it)
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of paprika

Directions:
  1. Cut potatoes into quarters, leave skin on.
  2. Boil water and cook potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until skin starts to peel a little. Leave skin on though!
  3. Chop green onions into small pieces.
  4. Chop up dill weed, if needed.
  5. Mince onions, use food processor if you need to get it that small.
  6. Cut jalapeno open and de-seed it. Chop into small pieces, but not too small.
  7. Get your 1.5 cups of mayo and 3 tablespoons of mustard ready
  8. When potatoes are done, place in a big bowl.
  9. Slightly mash up potatoes so there are no large chunks, but not so much that it turns into mashed potatoes.
  10. Throw in mustard, mayo, green onions, onions, and jalapeno.
  11. Add the salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of dill weed.
  12. Slowly and carefully start to mix up everything, don't let it get too mashed potato like.
  13. Add paprika and dijon mustard.
  14. Mix one more time very gently.
  15. Throw one teaspoon of dill on top to garnish.
And there you have it! A unique and yummy recipe that I created on my own. Make this at your next party and I'm sure people will love it. For my vegan friends, substitute the mayo with vegan mayo and you should be good to go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment